Soup Day: White Bean Kale & Sausage Soup with Butternut Squash
It is raining today! In California that is always a good thing and it means we are having soup for dinner. In our home we try to honor Sunday dinners but that doesn’t always mean they are fancy or involved. They are usually cooked together with my guy or my little nephew and shared with family.
Today will be no different and calls for something warming and hearty. We are all suffering from a pretty nasty cold bug and have spent our days sipping hot beverages and laying low. So I need a no fuss dinner. I have smoked bratwurst in the freezer and canned white beans and lots of veggies so white bean and sausage soup it is.
The orange vegetables, peppers, tomatoes and kale add a power packed punch of vitamins A and C and will support our bodies in their fight. Served with some toasty warm sourdough bread this one is a hit!
- 4 smoked sausages in casings (bratwurst, kielbasa...)
- 1 yellow sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup butternut squash, 1/2" cubed
- 5 medium carrots, 1/2" chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 15oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 qt low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans low sodium great northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups kale, leaves only torn into small pieces
- Shredded Parmesan
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Slice sausage into 3/8" slices. Add in a single layer of sausage and brown on one side. Sauté for 1 minute longer and then remove to a paper towel lined plate. Brown remaining sausage and set aside. Add onion to the soup pot with sausage drippings and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add in both peppers, squash and carrots and sauté for 5 more minutes. Meanwhile mix together spices, herbs, salt and pepper in a small saucer. To soup pot add in garlic and spice mixture and sauté for 1 more minute. Stir in canned tomatoes and water and deglaze the bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Once all the bits are removed add in 3/4 of the box of chicken stock and stir. Add in drained and rinsed white beans and cooked sausage. Stir and partly cover with lid over medium heat until simmering. Reduce to low and simmer on very low for an hour or more. Right before serving add in kale and let softened for 2 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as needed. Enjoy!
- Serve with warm whole wheat or sourdough bread.