Slow Cooker: Holiday Party Pomegranate Glazed Turkey Meatballs
Oh the pomegranate! So much work so little pleasure…WHAT! No-Not really. What I mean is I can commit to freeing half of the arils from their shell then I get a little bored and I would never get enough to juice them. Looking for opportunities to easily include pomegranates I discovered a beautiful local cooking sauce; SkyLake Ranch Pomegranite Balsamic Grill Sauce. It has exactly the sweet and tart taste that I love about pomegranates only elevated. It is the perfect glaze for my holiday meatballs.
I love when savory meat dishes join together with bright flavors like herbs and tangy fruit and that is what this hearty appetizer gives you. It does not get heartier or more versatile than the meat ball and this is a must have dish for your Christmas party. Add in a pop of greens (of course!), lemon zest, herbs and pomegranate and you have the perfect starter or main. The pomegranate balsamic glaze can be made from reduced pomegranate juice with balsamic or purchased from a pom sauce purveyor. This is definitely an antioxidant boost upgrade from the vintage grape jelly meatball recipe and is great option for your throwback vintage Christmas cocktail party.
These meatballs start off on the stove top for perfect browning but finish in the slow cooker making for super easy party prep. Cheers!
PS: Sorry we ate these too fast to take pictures!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, Italian
- 2 tbs parsley leaves
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 pinch chili flakes (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups pomegranate balsamic grilling sauce
- 1/4 cup feta
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Make meatballs by combining turkey, salt, pepper, garlic, breadcrumbs, herbs, and egg in a large bowl. Gently combine all ingredients using your hands or a spatula. Pinch off small hunks and roll in the palm of your hands to form into 1" balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Continue with all of the meatball mixture until meatballs are formed.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot add in 1/2 the meatballs but do not crowd the pan. Flip when just browned on one side, brown on other side and remove to paper towel lined tray. Continue with the remainder of the meatballs. Place meatballs in the bottom of your slow cooker. cover with pomegarnite sauce and set on low for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to serve plate meatballs top with feta, chopped parsley, and lemon zest. Plate on a beautiful serving dish with toothpicks.
- This recipe yields about 20 meatballs and I figured two per person on a buffet with other foods. Adjust as necessary to meet your party needs.